Monday 23 June 2014

Useful phrases in Japanese #2

I was originally going to write a post on the intricacies of sorting one's household trash here, but Blogger decided that it doesn't want to let me upload photos today (or my internet is being crappy and won't let me upload photos to Blogger) so I have to postpone that post. Instead, I thought it might be good to actually make a series of my earlier Useful phrases in Japanese #1 post since the "#1" did suggest that there was going to be more than one such post. If you recall, last time I described the words "sumimasen" and "gomenasai" and suggested when each was appropriate to use.

I thought it might be good to continue on the theme of being generally polite so this time I'll discuss the "pleases" and "thank yous".


Kudasai (ください)

"Kudasai" is probably the most common form of "please" you will hear or see written in Japan. To my knowledge, this is because kudasai can be used for requesting that someone do an action (such as waiting, being careful or putting your phone on manner mode and giving up your seat to someone on crutches on the train) so it is common in overhead or written announcements.

It can also be used if you would like to order something in a restaurant or ask for something behind a counter. For example "bīru o kudasai" would mean "beer please".


Onegaishimasu (お願いします)

It is also possible to use "onegaishimasu" when ordering. For example "mizu onegaishimasu" would mean "water please". Note that when "onegaishimasu" is used, you do not need to add an additional "o". "Onegaishimasu" can also be used when making requests for a service or (apparently) when asking for someone over the telephone.


Dōmo arigatō gozaimasu (どうもありがとうございます)

At least part of this one is known outside of Japan, but that whole thing together means "thank you" in the most polite possible way. Or at least the most polite possible way that is commonly used, since it is possible that there are some ridiculously polite ways of saying "thank you" that don't get used very much so I've never heard of them.

If one still wants to be polite, but a bit less formal, one can use "arigatō gozaimasu" or for even less formality one can use "dōmo arigatō" and with less formality still one can use "arigatō" and for the least formal possible way it's just "dōmo". As far as I know, generally "arigatō gozaimasu" is good for most situations.


Finally, there is dōitashimashite (どういたしまして), which means "you're welcome".

No comments:

Post a Comment